Hope to see all of you at this year's event. For more information go to: www.geocachinghamptonroads.com
Planning your caching around the picnic? Coming in from out of town, and want to make sure you don’t miss some of the best caches? Over the next few weeks, we’ll be generating several lists to help with this.
Each list will detail the best geocaches in each city in the Hampton Roads and surrounding areas based on the number of favorite points these caches have earned.
Let’s start with the closest first!
Here is the list for the City of Newport News – top 10 caches based on favorite points earned:
1. GC1N3Y0 – I SEE SPIDERMAN – 65 favorite points - hidden by ibwacko and Nuckfuts then adopted by tax-man. This cache won the GOLD Award for Most Creative/Innovate Cache during the 3rd Annual Hidey Awards on February 6, 2010 and was admitted to the Geocaching Hampton Roads (GCHR) Hall of Fame on February 4, 2012 at the 5th Annual Hidey Awards. This is a great cache and is located 9.64 miles from Newport News Park.
2. GC112TG – Rattle Fish – 51 favorite points - hidden by 2 Unusual Suspects and adopted by 5 Lost Marbles. This cache is located right in Newport News Park. This is a small cache located off a trail behind the Newport News Information Center at Newport News City Park. Bring your geocaching fishing gear (3ft of strong string with a loop tied on one end) because the rattle fish are in season. Be sure to use the "catch and release" method as we want to make sure that there will be a fish for others to catch. Please release it back where you caught it.
3. GC1HB4T – Ghost Train: Next Stop Boxwood Inn – 40 favorite points – hidden by Zazth@CO. With the ongoing restoration of the train station on one side and the Boxwood Inn on the other, the CO felt this to be an ideal location for a cache. Yes, the tracks here are still active just not in the same respect as they were many years ago. This area holds a lot of history and is less than 2 miles north of Newport News Park.
4. GC2NAND – Very Deceptive Or Tricky – 35 favorite points – hidden by bigbearpaw. This could be considered a Park n Grab cache but be warned – this one is a little tricky! Located about 7 miles from Newport News Park just off of Jefferson Ave.
5. GC3A5X2 – The Last Crusade – 26 favorite points – hidden by Scottish Calvaryman. This is a multi-cache located right inside Newport News Park. A great multi and one of four caches with an Indiana Jones Theme located in or near the park. I guarantee you will remember this cache!
6. GC1HTDK – Thanx for the ride, Lady… - 24 favorite points – hidden by BillHSKC. This is located like a park n grab less than 2.5 miles north of the Newport News Park but comes with a unique twist I am sure everyone will like.
7. GC15P9T – Larry’s Pawn Shop TB EXCHANGE – 23 favorite points – hidden by Thor24. This cache is almost 10 miles from the park and is located in Noland Park surrounding the Mariner’s Museum. A great cache!!!
8. GC3VJRV – Huntington Heights – 22 favorite points – hidden by COMPNS8N. This cache is located just over 13 miles from Newport News Park and is located just off Warwick Blvd. This is another cache I guarantee you will enjoy.
9. GC1FGPE – VA CHB Multi #5 – 18 favorite points – hidden by VA CHB. Located right in Newport News Park this cache is just a short walk from where the picnic will be held. A tricky little multi that may have you laughing at yourself by the final stage.
10. (TIE) – GC2MEJV - Cuisses de Grenouille – 16 favorite points – hidden by bigbearpaw. How often do you see a park n grab cache with this many favorite points! Just under 5 miles from the park this P&G is located just off of Jefferson Ave.
11. (TIE) – GC42D4J - Saga of Thorvald Erikson – 16 favorite points – hidden by prokudon. This cache is tied for tenth in favorite points but has only been publish for just under 7 months. I highly expect this cache to earn quite a few more favorites. This cache is also located in Noland park (around the Mariner’s Museum) approximately 10 miles from the park. This cache is listed as a multi and I can tell you to leave 2 to 3 hours (at a minimum) if you plan on attacking the combination puzzle/multi cache.
Thanks to Tom of SNAP! for submitting this article for us. If you have any questions - feel free to contact him at Suffolkpapa@gmail.com.
I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much..
Really it is useful information about Newport News Virginia.ReplyDelete