Last Week's Geocaching
(May 9 thru 15)
We basically only cached on two days last week but... On Thursday the 12th, we hosted our 50th event! It was just a quick AACC event. So for those of you that do not already know: Way back in August of 2013, Geocaching.com awarded souvenirs for everyday in August (that year) for which you either attended an event OR found a geocache. I came up with the idea! Since most cachers were busy during the weekdays doing that thing called WORK! Why not hold a fast meet n greet, just to allow those few dedicated individuals to get their souvenir by pulling into a random parking lot on their commute home and attending, even if for just a minute or two, a very short event. These quick events were called AACC events which stood for August Afternoon Commuters Club. At the end of the month, the attendees voted to continue the events but not everyday. Since August of 2013 we have held these events sometimes on an every 2 week schedule and sometimes on a monthly basis. Recently, we have been asked to increase the frequency of the events so they are now on a every 3 week basis and they are now called All-Year Afternoon Commuters Club events!!!
|Would you believe there is a cache in there???|
On Saturday the 14th, we joined up with alara to tackle a list of North-East North Carolina Geocaches. alara is one of the geocaching gurus that first taught us this great hobby so, yes - it is partially his fault you are reading this!!!
We managed to wipe out 37 of the 59 caches on the list knocking them off in quick order. This list consisted of numerous caches but the main reason I mention it is the 3 interesting series of caches we had on the list.
- Generals in Gray - these 13 geocaches (so far) detail information about different Generals during the Civil War. They were hidden by Civil War buff tpd2100. The hides are very basic park n grabs and he promises more caches are to come.
- Martin County Geocaching Trail - hidden by townofwilliamston. You collect a coin at each of the hides and once complete present the coins to the Martin County Tourism Development Authority. They will then, once verified, present you with a prize pack.
- The NC CWGT series. This state wide series consists of 150 Geocaches which have been hidden along the highways and by-ways of North Carolina. This series is one of our favorites because of all the historic places it takes you.
All three of these series are well worth your time.
A Couple of Notes
- If you were a member of the Facebook page called SNAP!!!-land Geo-Art (Grafitti) - the page name has been changed to SNAP!!! Geocaching. This Facebook group will now have information not only of our geo-art but also all active SNAP!!! geocaches. Don't worry, you can still find the cheat sheet for the geo-art in the files section of the group. If you are not a member of that Facebook group - and want to be - Click here to go to the page.
- I have started to update older pages and publish newer pages with tons of information of concerning the 14th Anniversary GCHR picnic. If you look to the right side at the top of the page, the second page listed there (the first being Home") will be a page containing all sorts of links for information on this year's picnic. Each one of the links is being updated but you can still access the entire page - you will see notes letting you know which links have been updated.
That's all for now - headed back down to North Carolina in a couple of days to finish up one or more of the series!!!
Till next time!!!
Post a Comment