It was early Saturday morning (9/19) when we left SNAP!!!-land and headed out to pickup our partner for the day - alara - yes folks - it has been quite some time since Team TNA has been out on the streets, seeking those ever-elusive caches all around the area.
|A beautiful view|
So after picking up alara and then stopping to fill our tummys, we set out on a very bright morning in Yorktown. It is always lovely on the beach but the sun was trying to blind all of us as we gathered the information to answer the questions on the areas newest Eathcache located right on the beach.
|Nana & I near GZ|
We took our time through out the day, moving from one cache to the next, moving down our list. Yes we did log a DNF, actually two - one at the beginning of the day and one at the end of the day.
There were also several caches along the way (s
ee the details below) that we wisely elected not to attempt. If we arrive at ground zero (GZ) for the cache and find too many people loitering around the cache, we will usually bypass the cache as to not reveal it's location to other non-cachers. It is always better to leave it for another day than to have the cache destroyed or moved by curious on-lookers.
I tried something new with GSAK the week. I found a really nice MACRO that is supposed to generate a list for you that will be the shorter route. Your run the Macro, tell it where to start the day and where to end the day and it automatically puts the caches in the optimum order (even using parking coordinates if needed) to cut down on running all over the place and to minimize your driving time. It also prints out the list so you can keep notes on it and gives you the option to print a map. See Macro "Cache Route 3".
Our List for the day:
|answer are NOT here|
1. GC602XB - Chesapeake Bay Impact Crater - hidden by Fltravelers - the newest Earthcache for the Hampton Roads area - really simple and don't forget to explore the beach area and all the stores while you are the area.
2. - GC5JRPD - YT micro - hidden by jaimjaimison - yep - our first DNF on the day but reading the logs - we were, by far, not the only ones.
|alara was having fun also!|
3. - GC5JRQV - Abe is watching - another hidden by jaimjaimison - our 2nd find of the day came in less than a minute and we even considered going back to the previous DNF but decided against it.
4. - GC5TRVW - Burnt Ends - hidden by the coastalgypsies - this is a rarity, a regular (and I mean a real regular) in a small wooded area. Real easy find.
5. - GC5VPMR - Sitting Duck - hidden by gigiwoll - gigiwoll has only hid 3 caches and I think everyone one of them is well worth your time to go look for. this was a cute little cache and our only hesitation was the fact that a muggle had his car parked right in front of the NO LOITERING sign. To top if off - the muggle was fast asleep with his feet hanging out the window - Wish I could have got a pic of his feet hanging out right in front of the sign. Always think of those things after the fact. Oh - the cache - well worth the visit (of course).
6. - GC5PFXK - How the USCG Helped End Selective Availability - hidden by everplaid - another cacher that has some great hides. A very simple puzzle and a very easy find.
7. - GC2A496 - This little piggy went Wii Wii Wii Wii - hidden by Chihuahuak94me - Nana & I have been trying to find this cache for years but every time we come here there is a car with a muggle in it parked right at GZ. Today, same thing, in fact, we think it was the same car as last time! No joy here!
8. - GC5X5ZX - Squirrel - hidden by diamonddragon1 - We allowed ourselves to think to hard on this one - which made us wander around for far toooooo long. Once I stopped thinking and just stood back and looked at the area for something different - there it was!
9. - GC5J6RV - The fungus among us - hidden by gigigwoll - yet another great cache. This one got a favorite point from us!
10. - GC5WCA6 - Comb Bay Park #1 - hidden by Ramblin Roses 3. Quick find for experienced cachers. newer cachers - try not to make it so hard - look for the obvious!
11. - GC5MRVW - Read between the lines - hidden by bigpapa92 - Another cache we skipped because of an event going on very nearby.
12. - GC5HZ41 - Fle house - hidden by coastalgypsies - another very simple Park N Grab (PNG).
13. - GC62P97 - Northhampton Presbyterian Church III - hidden by Grandpa Gene - really enjoyed the short walk to GZ for a very quick find.
14. - GC5RY81 - After-Dinner Mint - hidden by kajots. Just another simple Park n Grab.
15. - GC5VQ17 - Ozymandias, King of Kings - hidden by Grandpa Gene - decided to walk to GZ instead of driving but it was a nice walk. We made the find quickly but this is another one that could confuse a newer cacher.
16. - GC61WJZ - Me - I gotta Home - hidden by Grandpa Gene - just another really quick park n grab.
17. - GC5Y6A8 - Sleep between Red Court hidden by Mipe7 - believe it or not another quick Park n grab.
18. - GC5VRX0 - Green Cones behind Red Circles - hidden by Grandpa Gene - we actually spent several minutes here before making the find.
19. - GC52X0G - Two Sides of the South - hidden by Grandpa Gene - we could have spent far too long here but got really lucky right off the bat. Loved the old armory.
20. - GC5Q7EE - Buzzkill - hidden by elisachristine - neat idea at a really neat old cemetery. Thanks for bringing us here.
21. - GC5ZADX - Just lookin' fur a home - hidden by Grandpa Gene - muggles parked right at GZ - maybe next time.
22. - GC5DNK2 - VASCIC Trail MP 0.6 - hidden by chrbundr - our 2nd DNF on the day but it was not due to anything other than tired eyes. We tried far quite a bit.
At the end of the day we ended up with 17 finds and 2 DNFs. Yes we skipped some others but we will be back!!!
We awarded two caches with favorite points but both of them were owned by gigigwoll: Squirrell and The fungus among us.
At the end of the day when such conversations take place.... The fungus among us was named as the WINNER. The winner of the "COVETED" SNAP!!! Cache of the Day Award. Congrats!
We have updated the 2015 Winners of the “Coveted" SNAP!!! Cache of the Day Award page and it can be reached by looking to the right side of the page (when at the top).
Post a Comment